Wednesday, September 24, 2008

A Whole Hand...


Today my baby turned 5, a whole hand. I can hardly believe how fast it has gone. It is a happy day yet mom is a little sad. I know this is the end of an era. I will never have another little one who can proudly hold up just a couple fingers when people ask how old they are. The days of sitting in a quiet room at night singing softly while slowly rocking a tightly wrapped little one back to sleep are gone. I knew one day I'd look back on those sleepless nights and miss them. No longer do I experience the sweet freshly bathed baby smell. The days of cutesy clothes are long gone. With the rate he is growing he will be moving into the big boy 8-16 clothes next year. I haven't stepped foot in a Babys R Us in a couple years. No longer do I have to walk so closely behind a small child to catch them as they take their first steps. With walking came independence. They are able to go where they wish (within reason) which allows them room to explore. Explore things like throwing shoes away, flushing your sisters Leapster game down the toilet, coloring doors with bright orange crayons, and the infamous painting the poodle with peanut butter (I will never forget smelling peanuts while I was showering). Each event was highly annoying at the time as I was the one to have to clean up the messes. But now I can look back at all of those and laugh. As each year passes another finger gets to come up. As each finger comes up they become more independant. It almost feels as if when the hand birthday comes around they are waving good bye to the infant stage which makes one sad but they are also waving hello to the next phase of life. The next 5 years he will start school, meet new friends, and learn and grow just as much as the first five. I look forward to that. All I ask is you occasionally let me hold you on my lap, slowly rocking you while I sing you your song.


2 comments:

Janet said...

Happy Birthday JonJon! You're a hand-full now. ((hugs)) to your mama.

Kim said...

Happy Birthday JonJon! Hope you enjoyed your day! Hugs to you momma!