Friday, March 27, 2009

Aloha Friday...#77...

Today I usually participate in Photostory Friday but I have been a bit remiss in my picture taking this week. Instead I bring you my first Aloha Friday.

Finding a gray hair has been discussed on a message board I belong too. More specifically finding a gray hair on a young child. Now it is possibly a fluke stray gray and nothing more. That's what I told myself when at the age of 13 my BFF who sat behind me interrupted my daydreaming deep concentration (ha) during algebra by yanking out a gray hair. I stared in horror at the stark white offender. I knew it was highly probable that something like that would happen, after all my mom went gray early too, but still, 13 years old. Just. Not. Right. That's the last time my hair has been it's natural color.

So now when I recently filled out an application that asked me for my hair color I had to think about it. Do they want my natural hair color? That would be some shade of brown with gray highlights. I hardly ever color my hair one single color, that just too boring. And never use the same color twice in a row. It is usually a shade of red but I've done a dark blonde a couple times. I considered just filling in Feria shade #77 in the blank on the application but instead just went with brown.

So my questions are this...

Do you color your hair? Do you do so to cover something or just to change the color?

Have you ever had a self color job go bad? (I have matched my mother in laws burgundy couch before and told how cool my hair was by a girl wearing blue lipstick)

If you are brave enough to admit it, how old were you before you saw your first gray highlight?

And finally what would you tell your 8 year old daughter if she asked to have pink hair?

Visit An Island Life for more Aloha fun.

13 comments:

OLLIE MCKAY'S ~ A Chic Boutique said...

Yes - color my hair to cover the gray roots! Yuck! First gray hairs started seeing in early 40's ??? My maternal grandma and one of my twin cousins on that side were both totally white gray at the tender age of 26, so I consider myself lucky, I guess??!! Of course, at this point, I'm sure how close to that I may be - ha! Ready to go the Blonde route one of these years, so then I won't have to color the roots so often!

Beth @ TheAngelForever said...

No, I have never colored my hair. At just 32 I have only had a stray gray hair or two. My hubby is 8 months older and had a bunch more. I think with my hair color (red) it tends to stay hidden more.

Good luck with the pink hair ;)

Unknown said...

I am a natural blonde but by the time you get to be the age I am...43, my lovely blond is very dishwater yuck. Therefore, coloring is in order however, I can't and probably would not if I could pay major bucks to have someone do it regularly for me nor am I interested in or able to use permanent color on a very regular basis. As such, I use Clairol's Natural Instincts which is semi-permanent and washes out in like 6 weeks. That way, I do not have roots showing and I can change the shade anytime I want.

Anonymous said...

I color my hair for the look. I have yet to find a gray hair, probably because I do color my hair often enough to hide it.

I have an 8 year old son who likes to do different things - not as bold as I would want - but if I dont agree with it, I try to do a compromise. When he was six, he wanted to color his red. Instead, we did redlites. He was happy, I was happy, Dad thought it was weird. :)

Anonymous said...

I don't color my hair....yet. I have some gray strands and am thinking of highlighting when my hairdresser gives me the go. Right now, she said I'm fine.

sues2u2 said...

lol - We have similar issues in our family! I didn't find my first until I was about 27 but my 4 yr old daughter had tons of gray hair up until a little while ago. She has an auto immune disease of the skin called vitiligo that can mess w/ your hair.

I started to color about the same time I saw that hair. Yep, I @ one time had hair the color of a maroon flower. Not a pretty sight.

My prefered color is all done in foil & it is brown, blond & red!

Kari @ A Giveaway Addicted Mommy said...

I need to dye my hair. Just can't decide what I want to do - go bolder or just try to match my natural hair color. I have gray hairs that are now sticking out in crazy directions... It is time but am I too old to try something a little more fun? I am not talking purple or anything...

janetfaye said...

I have colored my hair for years. I don't have a lot of gray.

Leslie said...

I've been coloring my hair since I was about 30. Just to get rid of the little grays that were creeping in.

Now... twenty years later I go to my hairdresser (or is she a stylist now?) every three weeks to make sure I "don't look my age"!

Pink hair for an 8 year old? That would be a no for me.

Denise said...

Well, I've only colored my hair once & everyone liked it. I have a few grey hairs but they don't bother me. One of my sons is obsessed with coloring his hair...I think he was in 2nd grade the first time we dyed it BLUE.....he was really into Dragon Ball Z. The school had a fit, but we told them that we considered it his right to express his individuality & since we lived in California they never questioned it again. He is now 19 & the attraction to brightly coloring his hair seems to have worn off. Over the years, it has been blue, green, white blond, pinkish orange(I think that one was a mistake) & a few other odd shades. Most recently he went from very long hair to shaving it all off. It's grown back, but is now darker than it's ever been naturally before.

My 8 yr old has a tempory hair dye kit that she uses to make pink & blue streaks in her hair. Her brother has a bottle of pink dye that he says she can have & we are considering letting her have pink hair for the summer. It's just hair & if it makes them happy to change it's color it doesn't bother me.

kailani said...

I would tell my daughter that she should be happy with the beautiful color she has. :-)

Jenni said...

I have bleach highlights but I have colored it before! I have botched my hair every way you can at home. Ugh. I am under strict orders to never do anything to my own hair again.

What is this gray hair you speak of????

I actually might let my 8 year old have a little pink streak as long as it was underneath...

Nishant said...

Good luck with the pink hair
Adsense Alternative