Saturday, February 14, 2009

Teenagers And Broken Hearts...

Friday was Eddie's Jr. High dance. Earlier in the week he had me run him all over the mall to find the perfect outfit. I didn't mind that so much, I'm always up for a good shopping trip especially when a kid is eager to hang with me. After much prodding from mom he admits he is wanting to ask a girl to the dance but she has been out sick with the flu all week. Friday evening he cleans all up and gets dressed to bust a move (yeah, I'm that old) and informs me that said girl made it to school that day but he lost his nerve to ask her but she was going to the dance too. I said "Well you don't have to show up with her to dance and hang out with her". He thought that was a great idea and was very excited to go. He wasn't too excited though as we dropped him off at the front door of the school his dad and I rolled down the windows to profess our love for him LOL. Parents, how embarrassing. A couple hours later I go back to pick him up and he looks like someone ran over his dog. I asked him what was wrong and if he had a bad time. He said it was fun all the way up to the last ten minutes. He said he danced with his friends and the girl. But towards the end of the night he asked the girl if she would go out with him. She said no :-( and he was crushed. I had conflicting emotions. Upset that my sweet, funny, caring son had his heart broken but at the same time glad that we escaped the whole boyfriend/girlfriend thing for a little longer. But overall I'm hate to see more evidence that my first baby is growing up.

3 comments:

Jenni said...

She said no??? Hmph. I am sorry he got his heart broken!

paparazzimom said...

gasp! *sob!* oh my goodness, poor Eddie but most of all poor mom!!! I can't even imagine the emotions and how your heart hurts for him. I am soooooooooo not ready for those years!!!!

Kirsty said...

Awww poor baby. I think it's great he (and you) was spared the whole "relationship" scene. There will be many many years ahead for that torture ;) It must have been awful to see him so sad though :(